Monday, December 12, 2016

What a Mission!

Hi Everyone,


There is so much to be learned as a missionary. How to interact with other people, how to live with someone and be with someone 24/7, and how to be a real adult. I feel like I have been stretched near to my limits since being on a mission. It's great!

Because of the simple nature of our area, it's very difficult to find people to teach. As I might have mentioned before, our area covers one square mile and within that square mile there are 5 wards! Sis Holbrook and I only cover four of the wards, but still! There are soooo many members in our area that it's almost like we're celebrities when we bike through the neighborhood. Almost everyone says hi to us when we pass by, especially the kids that are out playing. It's so fun. But at the same time, this makes it difficult for us to find people who aren't members and are ready to hear and accept the gospel. We still go out and talk to everyone we see. Well, more like Sis Holbrook talks to everyone and I stand awkwardly and smile at them. I'm very good at that. 

Both Sis Holbrook and I have been getting sick the last few weeks so it's been kind of weird. We've spent more time than we would like at home sleeping because we've been so sick. Also our car has been having problems and the auto shop that we have a contract with is not known for its quickness and efficiency so we've spent a lot of time in car shops as well. This has made it even more difficult for us to go out and find people to teach. We really have to rely on the members of our wards to find those people for us. 

Something that I've learned over the last few weeks is to really truly rely on the Lord. There is absolutely no way that I would be able to do any of this if I didn't have the Lord on my side. I was reading Alma chapter 26 today and Ammon is giving praises to God for the success that they had in converting the Lamanites who were blood thirsty and extremely wicked. People had made fun of him for wanting to teach the Lamanites. They stoned him, scorned him, and threw him into prison! Right when Ammon and the others wanted to give up and go home, the Lord told them to go back and be patient in their afflictions. They went through rough times and struggled, and they did this all for the hopes of converting just a few. In the end, because of their faith in the Lord and their obedience to His commandment, they converted many! Also, in 2 Nephi 3:20-21 I read about Joseph of Egypt's prophecies of these Latter Days and how those who have faith would be given the words of the Lord. That their weakness in words would be made strong in the Lord.

These are things that I have been needing to hear lately. As I struggle to speak to new people and open my mouth, I now have comfort in knowing that if I have faith, God will help me to know what to say. I'm not alone. He won't desert me and I have His help. I can do hard things if I do them with the Lord's help. He knows what we need and He will answer our prayers. He's already answered so many of mine. As I study the scriptures each day, I feel closer to my Heavenly Father and to my Savior, Jesus Christ. 

I'm so grateful for the Savior and for the sacrifice He made for each and every one of us. He suffered so that He could know with perfectness everything that we will each go though individually. It brings me great comfort to know that as I go through difficult times, as I suffer heartaches and illness, frustrations and fears, that Christ knows exactly how I feel. I have someone that I can turn to in those times. Someone who understands and can provide peace and love for me. I know that He can do that for everyone, no matter what you are going through, Christ knows and is there for you. 

Happy Holidays! It's almost Christmas!

Love, 
Sister Conrad












No comments:

Post a Comment